Introduction. Benign prostate hyperplasia(BPH) is the most common benign disease in American men . Aproximetely, BPH affects 75 and 83% of the men in the seventh and eigth decade of life respectively. The patients with BPH usually present lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTSs). The LUTSs include storage, voiding and postvoiding associated symptoms and are seen in 30% of the men over the age of 65 years . In 1992, the World Health Organization accepted to use symptom score which was developed by American Urological Association . This symptom score was called International Prostate Symptom Score (IPSS) which includes seven questions about bladder emptying, frequency, intermittancy, urgency, weak stream, nocturia and straining . A new symptom score was developed by Walt et al in 2011 that was called Visual Prostate Symptom Score (VPSS) . The VPSS has advantages about simplicity and easy understandable for elderly men when comparing the IPSS .
In this stuy, we aimed to compare the answering of IPSS and VPSS for the patients presenting with LUTS in urban area (Çorum city) of Turkey.
Methods. Data were recorded prospectively from the patients who were admitted to Hitit Universtiy, Çorum Erol Olçok Training and Research Hospital for LUTS over the age of 45 years from February to August 2017. The patients were requested to fill the IPSS and VPSS without any assistance. The IPSS included 8 questions for irritative symptoms (2, 4, 7. questions (Qs)), obstructive symptoms (1, 3, 5, 6 Qs) and quality of life (8.Q); VPSS consisted 4 pictograms; 1 and 2 for irritative symptoms, 3 for obstructive symptom and 4 for quality of life. The education level, age and PSA level of the patients were noted. The questionnaires were evaluated f...
1. Selekman R.E., Harris C.H., Filippou P., Chi T., Alwaal A., Blaschko S.D., Breyer B.N. Validation of a Visual Prostate Symptom Score in Men With Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms in aHealth Safety Net Hospital. Urology. 2015;86(2):354–358.
2. Çalışkan S., Keleş M.O., Öztürk M.İ., Kutluhan M.A., Tok O.E., Ercan F., Karaman M.İ. Effect of sildenafil citrate in testosterone induced benign prostate hyperplasia rat model. Turk J Urol. 2017;43(4):434–438.
3. Afriansyah A.,Gani Y.I., Nusali H. Comparison between visual prostate symptom score and international prostate symptom score in males older than 40 years in rural Indonesia. Prostate International. 2014;2(4):176–81.
4. Abiola O.O., Ajape A.A., Adeniyi S.O., Ayeni S.C. Use and ease of self-administered International Prostate Symptom Score (IPSS) and Visual Prostate Symptom Score (VPSS) questionnaires fort he assessment of lower urinary tract symptoms in Nigerian men. African Journal of Urology.2016;22:121–16.
5. Walt C.L.,Heyns C.F.,Groeneveld A.E., Edlin R.S., Vuuren S.P. Prospective comparison of a new visual prostate symptom score versus the International prostate symptom score in men with lower urinary tract symptoms.Urology. 2011;78:17–20.
6. Taneja Y., Ram P., Kumar S., Raj K., Singh C.K., Dhaked S.K, Jaipura J.Comparison of Visual Prostate Symptom Score and International Prostate Symptom Score in the evaluation of men with benign prostatic hyperplasia: A prospective study from an Indian population. Prostate International. 2017;5:158–61.
7. Park Y.W., Lee J.H. Correletaion Between the Visual Prostate Symptom Score and International Prostate Symptom Score in Patients With Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms. Int Neurourol J. 2014;18:37–41.
8. Guzelsoy M., Aydos M.M., Coban S., Turkoglu A.R., Acibucu K., Demirci H. Comparison of the effectiveness of IPSS and VPSS without any help in LUTS patienst. a prospective study. The Aging Male.2017.
9. Ceylan Y., Gunlusoy B., Değirmenci T., Kozacıoğlu Z., Bolat D., Minareci S.Is New Visual Prostate Symptom Score Useful as International Prostate Symptom Score in the Evaluation of men With Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms?A Prospective Comparison of 2 Symptom Scores in Turkish Society. Urology. 2015;85(3):653–57.
10. Stothers L., Macnab A., Bajuniewe F., Mutabazi S., Lobatt C. Comprehension and construct validity of the Visual Prostate Symptom Score (VPSS) by men with obstructive lower urinary tract symptoms in rural Africa. CUAJ. 2017;11:405–08.